Ellison Bay Pottery in Door County
Ellison Bay Pottery in Door County, Wisconsin began in 1974 when John bought this empty fruit barn in Ellison Bay, Wisconsin.
This was everything he'd hoped for. The main barn would house his studio, gallery and home. The out buildings, many of them old migrant housing, would be transformed into a cottage, a kiln shed, and a garden shed.
Forty years later the bare bones of this old Door County barn has become one of Door County's premier, not to be missed pottery studios and gallery.
John had studied pottery in college and then worked for six years with Abe Cohn, a Wisconsin Master Potter, in both of Abe's studios (Milwaukee and Fish Creek). When John was ready to move into his own studio and gallery, both Abe and his wife Ginka made sure all of John's customers knew how to find him.
- that a humble mug should feel good in your hand and be beautiful, too
- that an empty pitcher should feel empty when you hold it
- that a bowl should be easy to hold and pass
- that a simple everyday item can and should be beautiful
- that people deserve handmade beauty in their daily life
- That our mission, our goal in life is to make people happy with our pottery